With the kids now back in the swing of being back at school, it’s important to ensure that they’re well fuelled for a day full of learning! Governments throughout the UK have set school food standards to ensure that kids are getting the nutrition and energy they need for a whole school day with delicious and nutritious school meals. We know no one wants to serve an awful school lunch (or anything they themselves wouldn’t eat!), so we are here to help!
As the general standard, it’s super important to offer a range of foods across the school week, and this is even better with fresh, sustainable, and locally sourced ingredients. This is also a great opportunity to educate students on what they’re eating, what they should try to incorporate into their diet and why it’s important to have a healthy, balanced diet. This should consist of:
- Fruits and vegetables
- Unrefined starchy foods
- Milk and dairy foods
- Meat, fish, eggs, beans, and other non-dairy sources of protein
- Small amounts of fat, sugar, and salt
As a wholesale supplier of baked goods, we take these standards seriously and include them within our product range. We create and supply great food specifically for the education sector that is both delicious and nutritious which makes for fantastic school meals:
High Fibre Bun
Exclusively produced for the education sector, our High Fibre Bun has been designed to look like a white bun but contains all the nutritious fibre of a brown bun! Our favourite fillings to use in our High Fibre Bun are:
- Cheese and cucumber: A refreshing classic, this sandwich can be paired with some carrot sticks, a bag of crisps and some fruit for a fresh and filling lunch!
- Chicken salad: For those wanting something more filling and higher in protein, chicken salad is also fully customisable. Include tomatoes, lettuce, mayonnaise – the possibilities are endless.
- All day breakfast: Our High Fibre Bun is ideal for hot fillings as well, and perfect for a hearty breakfast to get any student through the morning or enjoyed at lunchtime as a brunch style meal.
For weekly lunchtime treats, why not introduce a few pizzas to spice up your meal plan? We have a variety of doughball sizes available to cater to your specific needs, ready to make into some tasty pizzas. If you’re looking for some pizza inspiration, here are our recommendations:
- Margherita: The go-to for any pizza, simply sprinkle on some mozzarella (or your favourite non-dairy cheese!) for a delicious classic pizza.
- Veggie: Choose your favourite vegetables, from peppers to onions to create a custom veggie pizza, perfect for any vegetarians in your school.
- Custom: Why not set up a station where students can pick from a range of toppings? This will create some fun at lunchtime, making sure students are enjoying their lunchtime meal whilst also being educational and teaching them the basics of cooking.
Gluten free bread
We understand there can be a lot of food requirements to plan for within a school setting. At Kara, we have a range of wholesale gluten free and vegan baked goods to make sure no child misses out on the perfect lunch. From Genius farmhouse to create nutritious sandwiches, to delicious gluten free brioche rolls for homemade burgers.
If you’d like to find out more about what we can offer in our products for the education sector and how you can enhance your school meals, take a look at our Food in Education Brochure.